Monday, December 22, 2008

The "Hunter" Stocking is Done

I have been knitting personalized Christmas stockings for my mom's friend Bob since his wife passed away to carry on her tradition within the family. I started these after I had been back to knitting for approximately 8 months. My greatest accomplishments up until then were felted bags. Talk about getting in over your head. I didn't know what intarsia was let alone realize what I was actually undertaking. Before this, if I messed up, I started over again. I learned to unknit really quickly during this project.

'Hunter' was my 7th stocking in this pattern. The stocking knitting has actually evolved into relaxation knitting. Through the years of knitting stocking after stocking, I have learned steam blocking and acrylic yarns don't mix, knitting with Lambs Pride is way more enjoyable than Red Heart, the name on the stocking can turn out backwards and upside down if not careful, AND the 'Lisa lock' technique is indispensable when doing intarsia. I learned the 'Lisa lock' at the Monhegan retreat this past September. It consists of 'locking' the new color in the last few stitches before using the new color in the colorwork of the intarsia so you don't have to weave all of the pesky ends when finished -- TOTALLY AWESOME !!!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: